Living with Cerebral Palsy 🍋🍋

Sunday 22 September 2013

Sick September and an aborted walk...

Well it's September and as most parent's will know this means bug-time. Mercifully Elin has had an amazing transition back to school after the holidays and though September is a notoriously difficult time for her health-wise (and also because of the change in routine being back at school five full days) she was doing amazingly well. Note: When your SEN child is doing amazingly well, approach with caution!! Yup, that's right, I spoke too soon. Elin's not bad, but she's not right. A trip to docs on Friday after school and we came away with diarreah-inducing antibiotics, but full of hope that they would clear up what we suspect is a urine infection. Urine infections are not only a nightmare for poor Elin, they are a nightmare for us too because they often involve the dreaded urine sample.  Luckily the lovely doctor agreed to antibiotics without one but pointed out in would be best to drop one of if we could. Most parents will identify with the dreaded attempt-to-collect-urine situation. When your child has issues like Elin's it's worse- she cannot show us when she is ready for the loo. I have sat for hours with her over a tin pot before now, when the hospital (un)wisely got rid of the bags you used to just stick onto her and wait for her to wee. In fact, trying to catch a urine sample when she was poorly once, then getting one and knocking it over was almost soley responsible for one of my few and far between complete meltdowns (the kind when you have to have a cuddle from your Mum, cos that's all that will do). Anyway, I digress. My local docs is not as forward-thinking as the hospital and they gave us a bag to stick to her (hurray!). Elin managed to hold in a wee from 11:00 this morning until 4:30!! But she finally did it and yup, you guessed it, as I delightedly and carefully un-stuck the bag, the urine gleefully poured out in front of my eyes through a hole in the bottom. I could have cried. I didn't, but I could have. Luckily I suddenly remembered a urine catching kit I had from last time we needed it and she is currently wearing an attractive pad which she will hopefully saturate soon (but probably won't) so I can then suck out the urine with a syringe and pour it into a sample bottle. I'm keen to get her urine tested as something is bothering her and I'd like to cross it off the list. During this time today we attempted a walk outside in one of the hottest September weekends ever with one of my lovely friends and her two daughter's, keeping us company whilst Paul and Caitlin are in London for the weeknd. Elin was not having it. Back to thrashing around, leaning over to her left so far she was almost bent in two (and her butterfly harness horribly pressing against her skin) then finally 'jumping' up and down in her seat, pushing with her feet so her legs are almost strait (and look painfully close to snapping in two!!) This is massively disappointing given how wonderful she has been since the start of term. I cannot stand to see her like this, it's unbelievably upsetting, We had to turn around and come strait back home (even though I had got her out twice to try and placate her!) I can only hope it's as a general result of feeling 'under the weather' and not yet another backwards step. She is having a new buggy in the next couple of months I can only hope it's sooner rather than later and moreover, that it makes a difference. 
*Video won't upload!*
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Sorry to hear Elin has been poorly, hope she is a bit better now. I would put unhappiness in chair down to feeling poorly. Hope things improve. xx P.S couldn't see video. x

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig